Last Updated on
If you are looking for the best
Hoverboards are fun and exciting products of technologies that provide users cool way to relax and ride around. Despite the excitement the introduction of
Lots of these hoverboards had poor battery systems that saw them short-circuit while riders were having fun. However, the Consumer Product Safety Commission ( CSPC ) took action to safeguard the interest of the public by launching a recall of hoverboards.
About eight hoverboard manufacturers had to recall their products to rectify the issue, and to a great extent, the issues have been largely resolved.
Currently, there are lots of high-quality self balancing scooters and hoverboards on the market. Making the right choice can be a difficult thing to do because you might not be experienced or knowledgeable about the hoverboard industry.
Top 5 Hoverboards and Self Balancing Scooters to Buy
Since the initial challenges witnessed in the hoverboard industry has been largely surmounted, you can rest assured that we will be recommending the very best
1. SwagTron T1 – High quality and decently priced
When you are searching for the best Self balancing scooters and hoverboard makers, SwagTron shouldn’t be far from your shopping list. The Swagtron T1 is a high-quality hoverboard that has been thoroughly tested and vetted by regulatory agencies.
In fact, it meets the UL2272 certification. This simply means that the battery systems have been thoroughly tested and the risk of fire has been limited to the barest minimum. Getting UL2272 certification is no easy feat. Hoverboards and self balancing scooters that meet this certification are expected to:
- Cover a good range of 12+ miles and attain speeds of 8+ miles per hour
- Come with good batteries capable of lasting up to 2-3 hours on a single charge
- Include a 250-watt dual electric motor
- Come packed with rubber bumpers, LED headlights, light-weight body, and battery indicators
- Come packed with a UL2272 certification
- In addition, Swagtron T1 features a Smart battery management system, which helps to protect the battery and it also comes packed with a patented SentryShield battery technology
2. GoTrax Hoverfly ECO – One of the best Hoverboards for newbies
Hoverboards have provided a great way for youths to have fun and express themselves in a technological powered environment. Over the years Hoverboards have been able to overcome the initial power, overheating challenges that were common with them and have become more durable and efficient for the purpose they were designed. One amazing Hoverboard that made great waves with its release was the GoTrax Hoverfly ECO.
GoTrax TM may not be as reputable as SwagTron when it comes to the production of high-quality, durable hoverboards, but they have come of age with their entry-level hoverboards and other electric rideable. The Gotrax Hoverfly is UL 2272 compliant, which makes it safe and a highly reliable product.
This amazing product is capable of attaining speeds up to 7.4 miles per hour thanks to its 250watt motors. It may appear slow to many, but it’s amazingly fast. If care isn’t taken by the rider, they can lose their foothold during speeds and get a bad fall.
The range is fairly moderate as riders can get up 12 miles on a single charge. You can quickly top up the battery using its superfast charger that recharges its battery to full charge in 1.5 hours.
- Cool, fresh and funky design with a decent range of colors
- Superfast battery recharge time
- Portable design and reasonably lightweight 19.8lbs
- Great for beginners as it features quick and easy training modes
- Decent range (12miles) and max speed (7.4miles)
- Not suitable for riders weighing above 220lbs
- Lacks Bluetooth functionality
3. Halo Rover X – Among the very best on the market
The Halo Rover X is among the very best hoverboards you can get on the market. This Hoverboard, unlike the previous ones mentioned above, is an All-terrain hoverboard and it comes packed with large all-terrain tires and high-density fender wings. The Halo Rover X can support humans weighing up to 264lbs, which makes it perfect for chubbier people.
It features almost all the best technologies that you can find in a top-end hoverboard. The Halo Rover X is newbie friendly as it comes with a Ride-Assist, no fall technology that helps to keep the hoverboard balanced and upright.
- UL 2272 certification – The Halo Rover X is UL 2272 compliant as comes with a UL certified FireSafe Battery
- No fall Ride-Assist Technology – This is important for beginners or inexperienced riders
- Front, powerful LED lights, rear brake lights, built-in Bluetooth speakers and much more
- It has a range of 10 miles and can attain speeds up to 10 mph
- User-friendly apps that give you access to 3 riding modes which also includes a training mode, mileage, battery life, location
- Comes with an IPX4 certification which makes it water and dust resistant
- Quite expensive but it’s worth every penny
4. Swagtron T6 – Perfect of off-road use
We talked about the
The Swagtron T6 was designed for off-road use and is designed to be more durable than most hoverboards out there. It can support a whopping 420 pounds of human body weight, which makes it a hoverboard for all categories of people. Most hoverboards support up to 220 pounds of body weight, but the Swagtron T6 takes it several notches higher.
The Swagtron T6 comes with a carrying built-in carrying handle that makes it easy for you to carry around. Since it supports more weight than conventional hoverboards, it a bit heavier but that makes it more suitable for handling rough terrains.
- Impressive speed – can get up to 12 mph
- Comes with U 2272 and Sentry shield certification
- Perfect for off-road use
- Sturdy and rugged build that supports up 420 lbs
- It’s a bit too pricey
5. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 – One of the Best Hoverboard with Smart technologies
If you are looking for a smart hoverboard that connects and communicates effectively with the rider, then Razor Hovertrax 2.0 should be top of your buying list. Many have tagged the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 as one the smartest hoverboards on the market, thanks to the massive hype given by its manufacturer. And in many aspects, it has lived up to its hype.
The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is UL2272 compliant, which means it’s extremely safe to use, having passed through all the stringent tests designed to protect customers as well as ensure that its batteries will not short circuit and cause a fire.
It also features an EverBalance technology that helps to keep it balanced and upright. This can be helpful for new riders and inexperienced hoverboard enthusiasts. The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is also a very fast hoverboard as it can attain speeds of up 8+ mph.
- Comes packed with dual 350-watt motors that propel it to a decent cruise speed of 8mph
- EverBalance technology to keep the hoverboard upright and easy to mount
- Can last up to 60 minutes on a single charge thanks to its high quality 36 Volts LG battery
- Comes with some interesting features such as fender bumpers, LED battery indicators, two different riding modes
- Swappable or changeable batteries that can be replaced easily to replaced when you run out of power
- Below average battery life
The rideables mentioned above are some of the very best self balancing scooters and hoverboards you can get as gifts for your friends and techies. All hoverboards included in this list are UL2272 compliant, so you can rest assured of your safety as well as those of your loved ones. Hoverboards and self balancing scooters have come of age since their introduction. Maybe a time will come when they’ll actually leave the ground like in the movies, but till then, we would continue to enjoy the thrill they provide using current technologies.