Last Updated on
As technology advances, so do our gadgets. That means that the smartphone chargers you have in your home right now may not be able to keep up with your next phone upgrade. There are millions (or more) of phone chargers available. There are two main categories for best phone chargers: USB-C and USB-A.
Nearly all smartphones released after 2018 feature USB-C. This means that both types of chargers work with most smartphones. However, USB-C is future-proof and offers faster speeds depending on the device. This is why we recommend it as one of the fastest phone chargers. Many smartphones brand support fast charging through proprietary technologies that adopt the USB-Type C charging standards and protocols.
There are many brands to choose from, including Samsung, Anker, and AUKEY. So which ones are best to use with your smartphone? If you are looking for a new charger or need some extra ones to keep at work, check out these top 7 best smartphone chargers for 2021! With all of this variety, there is something for everyone’s tastes and price range.
Review of The Best Smartphone Chargers
Anker PowerPort III
Our favorite phone charger is the Anker PowerPort 3. It is small and compact but can still charge at a good speed. It can charge up to 18W but it’s not the fastest phone charger in the market. However, most smartphones have a maximum of 18W for USB C PD charging. This makes it an affordable and good option. It will also work with older smartphones, as the PowerPort III can adapt its speed to the contents of the plugged-in device at the time.
AUKEY Omnia 65W
The AUKEY dual-port charger is an excellent choice. It can charge via both USB-C PD and USB-A with a total output of 65W. This means you won’t get 65W from the USB PD port if the other port is being used simultaneously.
It can only charge at 65W, however, this is enough power for most USB-C laptops (like the MacBook Pro). It will charge at a slower speed if your phone is plugged into the USB-C PD port. It may charge at 18W, 25W, or both, depending on what device you have. It is a versatile phone charger that can charge other devices such as a smartwatch or laptop.
Anker PowerPort Atom PD 4
This is one of my most favorite phone charger and one I recommend you should try today. This is a great option if you plan to work from home in the future. It has two USB PD ports (USB-C PD) and two USB A ports. The total output of this device is 100W. In addition, the USB-C port can charge up to 100W, making it fast enough for laptop charging.
If you plug in other devices simultaneously, the power will be divided among the four ports. This charger is an excellent choice as it can charge multiple devices at once, and you don’t have to worry about running out of outlets.
Samsung 25W PD Fast Power Adapter
The charger Samsung includes with the Galaxy S20, Note 20 Series, and Z Fold 2 is a 25W USB PD charger, which can be used with other devices. It costs only $13, and it’s an excellent choice. It uses USB-C PD/PPS, which is a more recent technology that makes faster charging safer. So it’s not surprising that Samsung uses it. We will likely see more smartphones use it in the future. This charger is ideal for Samsung smartphones that can use 25W. It’s a good idea to keep a spare one handy.
AUKEY Swift 18W Fast Charger with Foldable Plug
AUKEY created a great travel charger. The 18W USB-C PD charger has a foldable connector. This is a great feature because it takes up less space in your bag and protects the plug from being damaged by other items in your bag. Although it is quite small, this charger still charges at a very fast rate. This makes it an ideal option to take on the road with you. This is when we can travel again.
AUKEY USB C Power Bank
All chargers don’t have to be plugged into the wall. You can also get the best portable phone charger, such as this one by AUKEY. This one is our favorite because it’s super thin and packs 10,000mAh of power. This is enough power to charge most smartphones at a minimum once. Moreover, it’s small enough to be carried in your pocket with no problems. This is a great feature. Three USB-A ports are available, along with a micro USB port, and a USB C port can be used as input (USB C can do both output AND input).
AmazonBasics 40W 4-Port Multi USB Wall Charger
This is the most powerful four-port USB charger on the market. This isn’t a USB-C charger. It’s all USB-A. It also doesn’t offer fast charging. Even with fast charging ports, you won’t get “fast charging” if you use all four ports. Because the speed of each port is different, it can be split between them all. This AmazonBasics model costs only $20 and is worth considering. You can also charge your tablet, smartwatch, smartphone, and other devices from this outlet.
Best Smartphone Charger Buying Guide
It can be challenging to choose a new charger for your phone. There are hundreds of brands available, with many offering dozens of configurations. We decided only to recommend chargers of companies with a track record of providing excellent service and products. A quality charger can be purchased at a very affordable price. There’s no reason to choose a less-proven brand.
Below are our criteria for consideration:
The fastest output possible:
- USB-C ports that deliver 18 to 45-watt output: USB-C ports enable many phones to charge more quickly–with the right cables. They can draw power at 15, 18, and 20 watts. The higher levels are known as USB-C Power Delivery or USB-CPD. While a higher output is good for your device, it doesn’t mean that you will use more power. Therefore, there’s no need to spend more on the power you won’t use. If you have to charge a tablet or laptop, the more powerful and more expensive chargers are better.
- USB-A ports with QuickCharge 3.0 or 12-watt output: USB A charging is limited to 12 watts (5V, 2.4 Amps) for Apple and Android devices. However, some phones can charge more quickly via Qualcomm’s QuickCharge3.0 standard. You won’t get significant savings if you choose a charger that is slower than 12 watts due to the low price of these chargers.
Great value for money:
We consider the value of each charger in terms of how much power it can output across its ports. This is a comparison figure that excludes models that are too expensive.
While absolute size is not the most important factor, we prefer smaller chargers over larger ones. Of course, if you need more power or ports, it is okay to accept a smaller volume, but otherwise, smaller is better.
Multiple USB ports:
While this feature is useful, it’s no longer necessary. There are many smaller, more affordable, and better-performing options available. In addition, if the size is not your primary concern, a charger with multiple ports can often be more cost-effective than one that only charges one device.
We’ve tested many chargers over the years based on the above criteria. Some have just USB-C ports, while others have both. We put each finalist through several tests to determine the best options.
- USB-C ports: USB-C uses digital communication to verify charging speeds. USB-A does not. With the right tools, it is possible to interpret the communication between your charger and the device that you have plugged in. We considered the advertised power profiles, steady-state output, and any errors in charging.
- USB-A ports are tested by connecting a variable load and an ammeter to determine the maximum power draw. This allows us to control power flow and verify that it is at the advertised rate. Start with the power load at 0 amps. Then, turn it up to match the advertised amperage. This ensures that the voltage remains within the range of 4.75 to 5.25 Volts. We then repeat the test on all chargers’ other ports to confirm they behave as expected and match the output.
- The combined power output: We test each port individually, then we compare the output when they are pushed to their maximum. Chargers that support the fastest rates for each port simultaneously are the best, and they don’t need to be hampered by any additional devices.
The best phone charger for you might not be the one with the most features, but instead, it could be a more affordable option that gets your phone charged quickly and reliably. We have reviewed some of the best mobile chargers for excellent performance. We hope this list will help you make an informed decision regarding the best smartphone charger for your use. So, what are your thoughts regarding the best smartphone charger? Let’s have your response in the comments!